Good oral hygiene is essential for a healthy smile, but regular visits to a family dentist are just as important. Your Shelton, CT, family dentists, Dr. Michael Caserta and Dr. Adrian Basu of Dental Associates of Shelton, offer the treatments and services you need to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
Why it makes sense to choose a family dentist
Visiting a family dentist offers many advantages, including these important benefits:
- Care for the Entire Family: Family dentists don't have any age restrictions for their patients. They provide care for toddlers, children, teens, adults, and senior citizens and are familiar with dental issues that occur throughout your life.
- Convenience: When your entire family visits the same Shelton, CT, dental office, you'll spend less time driving to appointments and can schedule a group checkup for everyone in your household.
- Better Oral Health: Your dentist can spot cavities long before you're aware you have a problem. Without prompt treatment, tooth decay could destroy much of your tooth and even cause an infection in your tooth pulp. Your dentist offers fillings and other treatments that protect your teeth and gums. Dental cleanings, an important part of every checkup, remove plaque and tartar from your teeth. These substances play a role in tooth decay and gum disease. Fortunately, regular visits help you reduce your risk of both issues.
- The Latest Cosmetic Treatments: Your dentist offers a variety of treatments designed to improve the appearance and function of your teeth. They can repair or strengthen a damaged or weak tooth with a dental crown, improve the shape of a twisted tooth with a veneer, brighten your smile with teeth whitening, or restore a missing tooth with a dental implant.
- Friendly, Knowledgeable Staff: Your dentists and their staff are committed to making dental visits positive experiences for you and your entire family. They'll explain treatment options, help you improve your oral hygiene, and check with your dental insurance company regarding coverage for procedures and treatments.
Do you need to pay a visit to the family dentist? Call your family dentists in Shelton, CT, Dr. Caserta and Dr. Basu of Dental Associates of Shelton, at (203) 924-4115 to schedule your appointment.
How your dentists in Shelton, CT can help prevent oral cancer.
How much do you know about oral cancer? Did you know oral cancer can be disfiguring? Did you know oral cancer can kill you? The truth is, oral cancer is serious, with some serious consequences. That’s why it’s so important to know the signs of oral cancer.
Dr. Michael Caserta and Dr. Adrian Basu at Dental Associates of Shelton in Shelton, CT offers comprehensive dental care, including oral cancer screening, to help protect you against oral cancer.
The first person to spot potential oral cancer could be you, so it’s vital you know what to look for. Some of the signs of oral cancer include:
- Lesions or open sores in or around your mouth that don’t heal
- Wrinkled, white, or thickened patches of tissue inside your mouth
- Red, irritated, or rough areas of tissue inside your mouth
- Lymph node swelling under your jaw or in your neck
You may also notice uncomfortable symptoms like these:
- Tenderness or numbness in your face or in your mouth
- Pain when you swallow, chew, or talk
- Frequent hoarseness and sore throat
Doing frequent self-checks of your tissue is a great way to catch oral cancer in its early stages. Self-checks are especially important if you use tobacco products or drink excessive amounts of alcohol, which are two main causes of oral cancer.
When you do a self-check, you need to examine your lips, the inside lining of your cheeks, your gums, and the roof of your mouth. You should also grab your tongue with a small piece of tissue and pull your tongue forward. This will make it easier to examine the sides of your tongue and underneath your tongue.
Visiting your dentist at least once each year and your dental hygienist at least every six months are also important ways to prevent oral cancer. Your dental professionals are experts at oral cancer screenings.
If you have an area that looks suspicious, your dentist may take a sample of tissue and send it off for a biopsy. During a biopsy, a pathologist looks at the tissue sample under a microscope to determine if the tissue is benign, abnormal, precancerous, or cancerous.
Oral cancer is highly treatable if found in the early stages. Treatment for oral cancer includes surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy.
Oral cancer is serious business, and you need the help of an expert. To find out more about oral cancer signs, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment, call Dr. Michael Caserta and Dr. Adrian Basu of Dental Associates of Shelton in Shelton, CT at (203) 924-4115. Call today.
How dental crowns from your family dentists in Shelton, Connecticut can improve your smile.
If you have damaged your smile, dental crowns can help repair your smile. If you have a smile full of broken teeth, dental crowns can help restore your smile. In fact, there are many benefits of dental crowns. They can strengthen and enhance the beauty of your smile. Dr. Michael Caserta and Dr. Adrian Basu at Dental Associates of Shelton, in Shelton, Connecticut offer a wide range of dental services, including dental crowns to improve your smile.
One of the main benefits of dental crowns is that they strengthen your smile. They do this by:
- Covering the entire visible surface of your tooth above the gumline
- Creating more surface area for chewing, which spreads out chewing pressure
- Protecting your tooth from breaking and losing vital tooth structure
Another major benefit of dental crowns is that they enhance the beauty of your smile. They do this by:
- Using porcelain as a main material for dental crowns
- Making a crown from light-reflective materials that look just like tooth enamel
- Creating a lifelike crown that will resist staining and look beautiful for years
There are several materials for crowns. Gold was the standard crown material decades ago, but now more people choose exquisite porcelain for their crowns because of its natural look. In fact, once a porcelain crown is placed, it is virtually indistinguishable from a natural tooth.
Porcelain is beautiful, but sometimes you need a bit more strength, especially for back teeth. In this case, the porcelain is fused to a strong metal underlay. These crowns, known as PFM crowns, combine the beauty of porcelain, and the strength of metal, to give you the best of both worlds.
You owe it to yourself and your smile to discover the benefits of dental crowns. Your smile deserves the best protection and the most beautiful restoration, and that’s dental crowns! To find out more about the benefits of dental crowns and what dental crowns can do for your smile, call Dr. Michael Caserta and Dr. Adrian Basu of Dental Associates of Shelton, in Shelton, Connecticut at (203) 924-4115. Call today.
Your smile is a real treasure. It enables you to eat, speak, express emotion and shows your uniqueness to the world. In other words, your smile is you...in many ways. To keep it healthy and bright for your entire lifetime, see your family dentist in Shelton, CT, regularly. Dr. Adrian Basu and Dr. Michael Caserta at Dental Associates of Shelton work to protect teeth and gums for your best well-being.
What do you need?
To maintain good oral health, children to adults in their elder years require routine in-office care. While your brushing, flossing and dietary habits at home are foundational to your great smile, you also need the input and services of your family dentist.
At Dental Associates of Shelton, Dr. Basu and Dr. Caserta ask you to come in twice a year for a cleaning and check-up. These preventive services are so important as they detect problems before they spiral out of control, and they keep gum disease, decay, tooth loss and their related systemic health problems at bay.
According to research from the American Dental Association (ADA), 85 percent of adults in the United States absolutely agree that prevention avoids smile-related health issues. However, only a small 15 percent believe they possess good oral health. What's the answer to this dilemma? Join with your dentist in achieving your best smile.
What happens at a regular dental visit?
Frankly, our services are anything but routine. Our family dentists individualize treatment plans according to patient need and preference. They'll follow you throughout each stage and circumstance of your life and adjust your care accordingly.
When you come to Dental Associates at Shelton, here's what to expect:
1. A warm welcome which respects your time and needs
2. A refreshing, professional cleaning to remove plaque and tartar
3. Digital X-rays as needed
4. Updating of your medical history
5. A comprehensive oral examination to check for decay, gum disease, bite problems, excessive enamel wear, condition of fillings and crowns and signs of oral cancer.
6. A care plan to address your preventive and restorative needs and some cosmetic improvement ideas as well.
Dr. Basu or Dr. Caserta may include fluoride treatments to reduce tooth sensitivity and harden enamel and/or plastic sealants to protect the pits and fissures on chewing surfaces. These are easy and very effective preventive treatments.
Come see us
We serve patients of all ages. In fact, we love seeing whole families for their routine dental visits. Phone for a check-up with Dr. Adrian Basu or Dr. Michael Caserta at Dental Associates of Shelton: (203) 924-4115.
Family dentists treat cavities by removing decayed portion of the tooth then filling the once decayed area. Fillings also repair cracked, broken teeth and worn down teeth. Drs. Michael Caserta and Adrian Basu of Dental Associates of Shelton in Shelton, CT, provide patients with fillings to protect teeth.
More About Tooth-colored Fillings
About 78% of people have had at least one cavity by age 17, according to a 2000 report by the U.S. Surgeon General. Dental fillings seal a small hole in your tooth caused by cavity and decay. Fillings prevent bacteria-induced infection from spreading further into teeth and gums.
What does the procedure consist of?
- Your Shelton family dentist first examines teeth/tooth using x-rays to determine the extent of the decay.
- Your tooth will be anesthetized so you won't feel any discomfort.
- The family dentist then removes the decayed area of the tooth.
- The remaining tooth structure is roughened with a mildl acidic solution, then translucent cement is applied to bond the tooth and the filling material together.
- A special light hardens each layer applied.
- The dentist shapes composite material, removes excess material and polish the final restoration.
Advantages of Tooth-colored Composites
- Tooth-colored fillings match the color of existing teeth.
- They are perfect for visible parts of teeth.
- Composite fillings provide further structural support.
- It restores and repairs chipped, broken, or worn teeth.
Other Filling Types
In addition to tooth-colored, there is also ceramics and glass ionomer composite resin fillings:
- Ceramics are made of porcelain and are resistant to staining.
- Glass ionomer is made of acrylic and a specific type of glass material that eliminates secondary leakage.
Need a consultation?
If you would like to speak with a family dentist, then contact Drs. Michael Caserta and Adrian Basu of Dental Associates of Shelton in Shelton, CT, at (203) 924-4115 today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.