Posts for category: Dental
When was the last time you saw your dentist for a checkup?
Life gets busy. We get it! But it should never get so busy that you forget to see your dentist. It is time for you to turn to Dr. Michael Caserta and Dr. Adrian Basu of Dental Associates of Shelton in Shelton, CT, for your routine teeth cleaning. After all, these six-month checkups are truly the best way to keep your smile healthy.
What happens during a dental cleaning?
When you come into the office for your six-month checkup here’s what to expect:
- A thorough professional cleaning using specialized tools that will fully remove plaque and tartar buildup, while also removing surface stains
- A comprehensive oral examination to make sure that your teeth look healthy and that there aren’t any issues
- An oral cancer screening to evaluate the soft tissue of the mouth to look for lesions, patches, and other warning signs of oral cancer
- Once a year we will perform X-rays to get a more in-depth look at the health of your entire mouth including the face and jaw (it can also detect decay between teeth)
- We will provide recommendations as necessary. If you grind your teeth at night we may recommend creating a custom nightguard that you’ll wear to protect your teeth while you sleep
How often do I need a dental cleaning?
Most people need to see the dentist twice a year. Smokers, those with active oral health diseases, and pregnant or menopausal women may be more at risk for developing dental issues and may want to come in every 3-4 months for cleanings and checkups.
If it’s been more than six months since your last routine cleaning, then it’s time to turn to Dr. Michael Caserta and Dr. Adrian Basu of Dental Associates of Shelton in Shelton, CT. To schedule your next visit, call (203) 924-4115.
Do you have a dental emergency? Here at Dental Associates of Shelton in Shelton, CT, your dentists, Dr. Michael Caserta and Dr. Adrian Basu, offer a full range of dental services, including emergency care. Here are some common dental emergencies and how we can help.
A fractured or cracked tooth is a dental emergency, and it warrants a call to your dental care provider right away. If the pulp of your tooth is damaged, you may need root canal treatment, but if it remains intact, you might only need a dental crown. Failing to address the issue can lead to infection, and eventually, a need for extraction.
If you have a loose tooth, you should call your dental care provider right away. At our office, we may splint the tooth to the adjacent teeth to keep it stabilized. Once the tooth is splinted, it will be much more stable, and eating can become comfortable again.
If your tooth has been knocked out, rinse it off with water to ensure that it's clean. If you can, gently place your tooth back in the socket. If you can't put the tooth back in place, put it in a container with milk. Keep the tooth moist at all times, and visit our office as soon as you can.
Any type of tissue injury inside the mouth, such as lacerations and cuts to the tongue, mouth, or lips, is considered an emergency. If you experience any type of tissue injury, you should clean the area immediately with warm water. Call your dental provider right away.
Concermed? Give Us a Call
If you are experiencing a dental emergency, call Dental Associates of Shelton at (203) 924-4115 now for treatment at our Shelton office. We will make sure that you receive quality care and are seen as soon as possible.